Saturday, October 8, 2011

Twenty Nine!

I turned 29 yesterday. I can see why 29 is the age that people continue to claim to be for the rest of their lives -- this is a good time of life! I feel grown up (mostly) but not old, settled but still flexible, still like a beginner at parenthood but not a novice anymore. Of course, I'm also actually really looking forward to 30. It will feel so much more like I'm officially grown up.

In any case, I had a great birthday. It was the ward chili cook-off, and Dot obligingly took a late nap so as to avoid a meltdown from pushing her bedtime back two hours. I submitted chili, but didn't win -- I should have informed all the judges that it was my birthday! But it was a huge batch and got almost entirely eaten, so I feel good about my submission, all the same. We had a great time. It felt so daring to be out of the house past seven. :)

For my birthday, I also ate a METRIC TON of sugar, mostly in the form of chocolate, because I've decided I'm giving up anything with added sugar between now and Thanksgiving. (But I'm not giving up carbs, or things that are BASICALLY just sugar, like honeycrisp apples. Just sugar.) I lost all the baby weight about two months ago, but I've recently started seeing the scale creep back up as Dot's starting eating more solid food and has cut down on milk. And with Halloween coming up, I know that if I don't cut myself off at the pass, it'll only get worse. Besides, how much BETTER will all that pie taste if it's the first dessert I've had in weeks?

I've found that I can have great discipline in refusing to buy or make junk food, but once it's in the house I will devour all of it, immediately. So poor Ben will be kind of going on this sugar fast with me, but he doesn't mind -- he's more of a salt guy, anyway. I suspect Dot will miss the vicarious chocolate. (She was kind of hyper yesterday, and of course looking back I can connect the dots and realize why.) But she'll get over it, I'm sure.



(I made Ben take some official birthday pictures before the day was over. Yay, 29!)

6 comments:

Victoria Blanchard said...

Happy Birthday! I just turned 28, and I feel the same way about this age. It's a nice stage of life!

Grandma & Pop-pop said...

Wonderful picture, Sarah. It sounds like your birthday was wonderful. Package in the mail on Monday!

Love & Hugs,

Mom

Madsen Family said...

Happy B-day, Sarah! I'm just sad I didn't know it was your b-day when I saw you on your b-day. I would have sung to you (so maybe you're glad I didn't know). 29 IS a great age. But I can attest, 32 ain't bad either (though I swear, once I turned 30 the wrinkles came from NOWHERE). And I am the same way with sugar--if it's in my house I have NO self control. However, since I have given up the hope of EVER seeing my toes again, I pretty much eat whatever I want these days, especially Nutella by the spoonful. Hopefully, this baby will come SOON and then I will be more partictular about what I eat. Anyway, sorry for the long comment that really meant to say: Happy B-day and Good luck on the sugar fast!

Matt S. said...

Glad you had a happy birthday! '


Dad

Matt S. said...

Trying to say belated Happy Birthday....

Tyler & Rose-Ellen said...

Glad you had a good birthday! I tried to call you once or twice. Stupid time difference.

My babies were raised on chocolate milk. And they floated in chocolate amniotic fluid. OK that sounds gross.

Good luck on the sugar fast. I'm on a medically necessary fat fast and have to say it's much harder for me than a sugar fast was, because it's more than just cutting out junk, I have to cut out a lot of food. Including any cooking oils. And trying to "diet" while pregnant is torture. But I did the no-sugar thing for a long while, that's how I slimmed down after Natalie. I did it a little different, allowing myself 50 grams of added sugars a day, so I could sneak a cookie now and then, but I counted EVERYTHING, including sugars in my processed foods, and things like jam and yogurt, which has a ton of sugar. I didn't count fruit sugar, though. The sugar cravings do go away and your tastes change.

Dot is cute. Let's trade kids. I hope you enjoy having one baby, because when the next one comes you'll have to split time between them and you won't get to love every second of that new baby.